Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_2_] mac davis[_2_] is offline

Default Are spindle adapters safe?

On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 20:00:26 -0800, "William Noble" wrote:

I have been making and selling adapters along with faceplates
(www.wbnoble.com) and so far most folks are happy - one customer was quite
unhappy with 5 thousandths runout (which is actually better than the specs
on any wood working chuck), but that was the exception.

With anything that increases the overhang from the headstock, you will find
increased vibration (potentially) -

you may find that the larger lathe warrants larger accessories - after I got
a larger lathe, I have never felt the urge to put a chuck back on my Nova
Comet - it does pens and stuff like that exclusively - I certainly wouldn't
try to put faceplates on adapters just because they are so cheap (plug for
my web site) - but it might be worth it with a more expensive accessory, or
with light weight stuff - and in that case the best bet would be to adapte
the 1.25 to 1 inch even though this maximizes the overhang

Not sure, Bill, but I might add a Oneway Stronghold later, but I can't see
needing it right now..

All of my vac chucks, mandrels and small accessories are 1/8 and I hate to have
to replace/duplicate them..

I'm only moving up from 14" to 16", so no radical change.. just a nicer lathe
with direct drive and digital speed..

I use my mini once a month, at traveling shows.. Other than that, it's for
friends and students...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing