Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Fred Holder Fred Holder is offline

Default Are spindle adapters safe?

On Jan 6, 6:01 pm, mac davis wrote:
As I get ready to buy the new lathe, I'm trying to iron out potential problems..

One is that I have 2 Oneway Talon lathes with 1" x 8tpi adapters and the new
lathe will be 1 1/4" x 8 tpi..

I could order one 1 1/4" adapter from Oneway and use one chuck on the Nova and
one on the 2 Jet lathes, but I'd like to use both..

I'm looking at this:http://tinyurl.com/ynodeo
at Amazon and wonder if it's safe...

It seems better to bring down the new lathe to match my present accessories (vac
chucks, etc.) than bring the other 2 lathes UP to 1 1/4"..

Any experience with these adapters?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Hello Mac,

When I changed lathes from the Record Power lathes with 3/4" x 16 tpi
spindles to a Nova 3000 several years ago, I purchased an adapter from
Craft Supplies USA to convert the 1-1/4" spindle to 3/4" x 16 tpi and
found it worked great. Eight or nine years later, I have one that goes
from 1-1/4" to 1" x 8 and one that goes from 1" x 8 to 1-1/4" so that
we can use chucks back and forth from the Nova DVR, the Oneway 1018,
and the Vicmarc VL-100 without having to change inserts in the chucks.
I have not noticed any run out on any of these adapters. Also, it is
sometimes nice to have the chuck moved a ways from the headstock.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com