Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian_m[_2_] Ian_m[_2_] is offline

Default adding copper strip to ridge tiles to remove moss

"Fergus McMenemie" wrote in message
k...
I have a shallow pan tile roof with over one inch of moss on portions of
it. I recently discovered that the combination of moss and frost are
destroying some of the tiles. I have tossed on a pile of "weed and feed"
which seems to have been very effective at the killing the moss. But I
want to add a copper strip along the ridge of the roof to make sure the
moss does not come back. In the end I have decided to use a length of 8
mm small bore heating pipe which I will hammer flat.

My question relates to the best way of attaching the copper strip to the
ridge tiles. The options are to:-
drill and screw to the ridge tiles
drill and screw to the mortar between the ridge tiles
some kind of glue
something else I have not thought of

I suspect that the first two would prove unreliable and destructive once
moisture and frost get into the screw holes. Glue seems the only other
option but I generally have little luck with gluing things. What sort of
glue should I use. Also should I glue the copper directly to the tiles
or should I use a series or say plastic straps to hold the copper in
place (the straps would be glued).

Thanks in adance.... Fergus

Waste of time, been there done that, didn't even get the T-shirt as they
say....

In my last house the non-sunny side of the roof suffer major moss problems,
leading to blocked gutters and even other plants moving in eg grass. I
placed
a "run" of 2.5mm copper core from some old electrical flex across the
uppermost tiles after reading somewhere about moss and lichen not liking
copper. Possibly made a slight difference on the tiles the wire ran across
but within a year or two moss was back across the whole of the roof.

I ended up just sweeping the piles of moss off every couple of years.