Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Gerald Ross[_2_] Gerald Ross[_2_] is offline

Default Are spindle adapters safe?

mac davis wrote:
As I get ready to buy the new lathe, I'm trying to iron out potential problems..

One is that I have 2 Oneway Talon lathes with 1" x 8tpi adapters and the new
lathe will be 1 1/4" x 8 tpi..

I could order one 1 1/4" adapter from Oneway and use one chuck on the Nova and
one on the 2 Jet lathes, but I'd like to use both..

I'm looking at this:
http://tinyurl.com/ynodeo
at Amazon and wonder if it's safe...

It seems better to bring down the new lathe to match my present accessories (vac
chucks, etc.) than bring the other 2 lathes UP to 1 1/4"..

Any experience with these adapters?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

For the bowl chuck, make sure the insert has the grub screw to latch
it onto the spindle. Then you can reverse sand without activating the
automatic chuck ejection feature.

I had the same quandary. I relegated the oldest one to buffing. The
middle one sat in the way for a year until I gave it to my brother.

I noticed the comments on the link you gave--the adapter is not hollow
all the way through. You would have to drill it out to use a vacuum chuck.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Useless Invention: Ejector seats for