Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Re-connecting cut telephone cable

petek wrote:
My nextdoor neighbour has just been round to ask about re-connecting
the cable to his telephone extension, which he has inadvertantly cut.
He doesn't want to replace the whole length of cable as it takes a
circuitous route under floorboards, stair cupboard and round door
frames etc from the hall up to the bedroom.

I looked in the TLC and Screwfix catalogues which I happened to have
to hand, but couldn't find anything in the way of a connector box
which looked suitable.

I have suggested he tries just an ordinary chocblock with the
appropriate number of ways, and connects the corresponding wire
colours together. Appearance doesn't matter as it's in the cupboard
underneath the stairs where he made his erroneous cut!

Any reason why this shouldn't work? Is there a better way of doing it
- e.g. a purpose made connector?

It will be fine for voice. Not so good for broadband, but not bad.

TIA

Pete