Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Dobony[_2_] Mike Dobony[_2_] is offline

Default plumbers putty for leaky threaded joint?

ransley wrote:
On Jan 4, 8:47 am, wrote:
The threaded pipe joint I installed last week for one of my home's hot
water radiators is leaking a little. It it now obvious to me that I
didn't put enough pipe dope on when I installed. I would prefer to
wait a few days before I redo because we're in the middle of a cold
spell. But the pipe orientation makes it difficult to catch the drip,
so I want it to stop. Would plumbers epoxy putty work here? or would
the heat and lack of smooth surface (i.e. threads) doom this patch job
to instant failure? And if it does work, would I be able to remove
the putty or does it harden so strong that I won't be able to break it
off. I never worked with this stuff before, so I'm not familiar.

Opinions?

-Theodore.

use pipe dope then teflon tape

stupid combination doomed to failure. Use one or the other only. I
personally prefer the Teflon tape over the pipe dope. I never really
had any luck with the pipe dope. It hardens when it does work and then
is a bear to get apart for any other repairs.

Mike D.