Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
robo hippy robo hippy is offline

Default Are spindle adapters safe?

Mac,
You may want to consider getting separate chucks for the bigger lathe.
The spindle adapters do extend out a bit, and you do get more
vibration, especially if you are turning bigger things. I had one for
a bit, and would use one for a demo, but not for regular turning in my
shop. For getting more distance from the headstock, I use extended
jaws on my chuck (vicmarc). You can change the insert for the chucks,
but it is a PITA.
robo hippy

On Jan 6, 8:25*pm, mac davis wrote:
On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 19:40:18 -0800 (PST), JD wrote:

I think the important thing is to use steel instead of aluminum adapters
and to be sure to secure them to the chuck or spindle.

Turn to Safety, *Arch
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Fortiter

Securing them is a key point. I failed to do just that a couple days
ago and when I stopped the lathe the bowl and chuck unscrewed
themselves from the adapter I use. Nothing hurt but scary as hell when
the whole thing come flying off the lathe. Luckily it had slowed to
near stopping before it decided to go for a walk.

JD

Wow.. that must have been a sphincter check!

I've actually had that happen without an adapter.. just put the chuck on to do a
bit of sanding or something and it didn't get that last nudge to tighten it
down..

Any other problems with your adapter?

Is it to increase or decrease the spindle size?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing