Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_2_] mac davis[_2_] is offline

Default Are spindle adapters safe?

On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 22:26:35 -0500, (Arch) wrote:

Hi Mac, Chuck adapters are concentric with the chuck body and don't
extend the chuck's overhang. Spindle reducing adapters do extend the
chuck, faceplate or whatever device that's being driven. To the extent
that the more the overhang the less safe, a chuck adapter is preferable
to a spindle adapter, but both are useful and relatively safe.

That brayed, I have several homemade reducing spindle adapters for using
old 3/4 in. and 1in. fixtures that seem safe enough to me. Also a
spindle reducing adapter allows me to use much cheaper dies, nuts &
bolts for shop made devices.

I think the important thing is to use steel instead of aluminum adapters
and to be sure to secure them to the chuck or spindle.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Thanks, Arch...
I know from the years that I've had the jet mini and 1442 that 1" 8 tpi is very
common and most tools come in that size...
Being lazy, I'd rather screw an adapter on the spindle than get involved with
the process of changing chuck adapters often... it's a PITA just doing it once
when you buy a chuck..lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing