Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ecnerwal Ecnerwal is offline

Default Are spindle adapters safe?

In article ,
mac davis wrote:

I'm looking at this:
http://tinyurl.com/ynodeo
at Amazon and wonder if it's safe...

It seems better to bring down the new lathe to match my present accessories
(vac chucks, etc.) than bring the other 2 lathes UP to 1 1/4"..

No picture on your link, at least for me. The downside of most
spindle-size adaptors is that they extend everything further from the
headstock. If you could (and I doubt there's quite enough metal there to
do it between these two sizes, without having drawn it out to be sure)
it would be better to have a "non-length extending" adaptor to take the
smaller size up to the larger - a cylinder threaded inside and out.

If taking the larger one down, try to find an example that is a beefy as
possible over the spindle and behind the smaller thread.

Just found via web search to have a picture to look at, no affiliation:

http://woodenpost.com/products/chang...e_on_lathe.htm