Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 2008 Pres

wrote in message
On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 13:55:35 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

School Admin. usually sings two songs;

The first is;
"You ( parents ) need to get involved in school functions"

BUT

If you do start to get involved, the song becomes;
"Leave school functions to us... we are the professionals"

( been there....done that...gave up )
rj

Bull****. School functions? To me, that means "things that go on at
school",
like sports & musical events. Except at the elementary school level, there
usually aren't "functions" involving academics, where parents are INVITED
get involved. PTA meetings? They don't help a kid who's having problems
with
math RIGHT NOW, and needs to get help RIGHT NOW, or suffer for the rest of
the school year.

What parents CAN do is ask lots of questions at home, to get a sense of
whether kids are actually learning new things, and whether they're being
taught to think and learn on their own. If not, parents can individually
arrange for the principal and teacher(s) to experience aggravation and
humiliation. Unfortunately though, you can't get a teacher replaced
quickly
under the best of circumstances, so by the time a bad teacher is dumped,
the
school year might be almost over and your kid's already damaged. What's a
parent to do?

When my kid was having problems with her grades I went in there and
talked to them. They said she would get "help" and they did make her
grades improve. She was on the honor roll for the last 3 years she was
in high school.

When she got to college she took almost an entire year of remedial
classes to learn what a high school student was supposed to know.

Did any of those remedial classes involve language skills?