Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David A. Frantz David A. Frantz is offline

Default Chain welding

Building a power supply for what you are talking about might be very
doable. Maybe even tasking an old resistance welder for such work.

What I'm wondering though is has anyone approached this issue with a TIG
welder? Especially for larger chain used in boating. Obviously it
would be very slow compared to a resistance system designed for such
welds, but you should be able to fashion any size chain in small lengths.

Getting penetration would be an issue but I would think your welds would
be better than a resistance job where the ends just get squished together.

Any thoughts.

On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 03:17:51 -0800, Jaeger wrote:

On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 21:16:41 -0500, "Charles P Lamb"
wrote:

How are commercial chain links welded? My first guess is using
resistance but I would guess the electricity would be more likely to
take the path around the link than across the touching faces.

I find it intriguing that this topic came up. I've been trying to
figure out how to make welded links for things like chainmail,
safety-mail (like the microlink gloves that prevent you from cutting
yourself while filleting fish) and even necklaces.

I just found the following site that talks about Resistance welding...
http://www.key-to-steel.com/Articles/Art76.htm

The Wiki says that currents from 100 to 100K amps are used...

Hmmmm.... I wonder how hard it would be to design a Homebuilt power
supply for a Resistance welding rig?
Jaeger
Seattle, WA
"Dead wizards are not known to sleep soundly, nor to wake jovial"