Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default plumbers putty for leaky threaded joint?

On Jan 5, 8:29*pm, Red Green wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote :

On Jan 4, 8:33*pm, Red Green wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

On Jan 4, 9:47*am, wrote:
The threaded pipe joint I installed last week for one of my home's
hot water radiators is leaking a little. *It it now obvious to me
that I didn't put enough pipe dope on when I installed. *I would
prefer to wait a few days before I redo because we're in the
middle of a cold spell. *But the pipe orientation makes it
difficult to catch the drip

,
so I want it to stop. *Would plumbers epoxy putty work here? *or
wo

uld

the heat and lack of smooth surface (i.e. threads) doom this patch
job to instant failure? *And if it does work, would I be able to
remove the putty or does it harden so strong that I won't be able
to break it off. *I never worked with this stuff before, so I'm
not familiar.

Opinions?

-Theodore.

If you are referring to the "rolls" of two part epxoy putty that
you cut and then knead together, I would think that it should work
fine.

The lack of smooth surface is a plus since you want a rough surface
to give epoxy something to grab on to. I always rough up smooth
surfaces when using epoxy to give it some "bite".

As far as the heat, check the package of whatever brand you buy.
The Pro Poxy 20 available at this site says it can withstand temps
up to 300 F.http://www.herchem.com/products/putty_epoxy.html

You should be able to break the seal when you are ready for a
permanent repair, although a complete clean up might take a little
time, since the epoxy will be in between the threads, etc. A
dremel- like tool with the appropriate bit comes to mind for the
clean-up.

I'd give the putty a try and if it holds, I'd leave it in place
until spring when you can take your time with the clean-up and
permanent repair.

BTW the only thing I don't like about the epoxy putty is that Billy
Mays is now hawking something called Mighty Putty which appears to
be the same type of product. *g

Whatever Billy is yakking about has nothing to do with what the
product will do. He's just a pitch man, a very good one and probably
a rich one by now. Ever notice how over the years his profile has
changed? In the most recent one with him selling jock straps for pet
rats or something, the back of his belt above his ass was like a foot
higher then the buckle. Waiting for him to sell some mirror gizmo you
can epoxy to your gut so you can see your dink again.- Hide quoted
text -

I must admit that I haven't spent much time looking at Billy Mays'
ass.

Ouch! That hurt. :-)- Hide quoted text -

Mission accomplished. ;-)