Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Phillipson Don Phillipson is offline

Default Question on caulking gaps on baseboard molding

"Mikepier" wrote in message

I have a few pieces of baseboard molding I need to install and the
walls are less than perfect. There are a few bumps in tha wall which
means I will have to caulk the gaps on top. These moldings will be
painted white. My question is after you caulk, are you suppose to
paint the caulk white( same as molding) or are you suppose to paint it
the color of the wall?

. . .
when I did a few searches, it suggested
painting the caulk the color of the wall. If thats the case, then I
would have to repaint my entire walls since the paint I used 3 years
ago is old and would not match . . .

1. If your paint changed colour in the can in three years,
this suggests you bought the cheap stuff in the first place . . .

2. Instead of caulking, the easiest way to fill baseboard
gaps is by laying another strip of moulding, as small as you
can obtain, just wide enough to fill or hide the gap, whether
along the wall or along the floor. These thin strips can be
conveniently painted before fastening in place, whether you
choose the baseboard colour or the wall colour.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs