Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers
Dan[_4_] Dan[_4_] is offline

Default Honeywell whole house humidifier issue (kinda long)

Dan wrote:

Late in 2006, I had a new furnace, A/C, Honeywell whole house
humidifier, plus electronic air cleaner installed in my home. Once
the cold weather hit in the fall, the heater did not come on. The
solenoid to the humidifier was replaced to fix the problem. Fast
foward to Dec 06, the humidifier is not working. The solenoid is
replaced again. All is well until I turn on the heat for the first
time last October. The humidifier is not working. I call out the
company that installed the system. This time the saddle valve that
feeds the humidifier from the hot water side of my water heater is
clogged. The tech opens and closes the valve a few times and water
starts flowing. I drained the sediment out of the bottom of my water
heater and changed the humidifier filter a short time later.

The humidifier stopped again a little over a week ago. This time I
made sure that water was going to the humidifier. There is hot water
in the bottom of the rubber tube that goes between the solenoid and
the filter housing. The water is not making its way to the filter
housing. I blew air and water through the tube. I cleaned out the
connection on top of the housing. It still would not work. I made
an appointment for the tech to come out again. The guy who sold me
my system called me yesterday wanting to troubleshoot over the phone.
We did pretty much the same thing as did before I called and water
started flowing through the filter again. At that point, I thanked
the guy and cancelled the appointment.

A few hours after it was fixed, the water stopped flowing through the
filter again. There is hot water in the bottom of the rubber tube
where it attaches to the solenoid, but it is not making its way up to
the filter. The guy told me that if this happens again, to call a
plumber and have him install a T-joint in the water supply since he is
sure that it's sediment in the saddle valve that is causing the
problem.

Correct me if I am wrong, but if the saddle valve was clogged, would
there not be any water making its way to the humidifier? The problem
is that the water is not being pushed up to the filter. Is that the
solenoid's function.

Any ideas? I don't want to waste money having a T-joint installed if
that is not the problem.

BTW, the humidifier is a Honeywell 265A.

Thanks!

Thanks to all who replied. I had a plumber install a shut off valve
earlier this morning to replace the saddle valve. Water is flowing
freely now. I wish the HVAC installers had done that to begin with.