Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Tom is offline

Default Good reference on steel grades used in firearms

Trevor Jones wrote:
Tom wrote:

Trevor Jones wrote:

Tom wrote:

Louis Ohland wrote:

Trevor, just kidding!

I'm looking now at making a breech block for a Stevens 22LR. Or
bushing the firing pin on a .38-55 Winchester 1987 Musket (Model
1885 with different stock...)

I have a healthy respect for the power of confined powder..

For pressure bearing parts, isn't 4140 a good bet?

Trevor Jones wrote:

Louis Ohland wrote:

Says it all. What grades are suitable for what applications?
Grab that 1.25" round of 1018 and make my own action...

What kind of action? What type of cartridges? What kind of finish
do you want on it when you are done?

Not enough information provided Louis, as there are too many
variables.

Best bet is to read what the makers of similar actions are using.

Suitable for a stainless bolt action is not suitable for a color
case hardened black powder receiver, etc.

Whatcha hankerin to make?

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Louis
Could you clarify those Winchester models, please?

Tom

Model 87 Winchester was a Military type trainer based on the 1885
actions.

Most that I see referenced in the books, were .22 cal.

I have the 2 Campbell books on the 1885 single shots. The general
gist is that just about anything you wanted, could be got from the
factory, if you were willing to pay. But it's been a long time.

"Factory" letters are available for the Winchester rifles, from the
Cody Museum, if ya didn't know.

A rebarell?

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Well, Trevor I've got more than a few Winchesters and all of my Model
1887s
are lever action shotguns and my muskets are either 1885 or 1895.

Tom

Winchester listed it as a model 87. shrug Good enough for me.
http://books.google.com/books?id=T-I...c6jeAt52WGmIt0

The part of the book quoted above spells it out fairly well, I suppose.

I think it serves as a better researched answer than the Wiki one that
told the guy that he did not know what he was talking about with his own
gun, anyway.
If it had another model number, I am pretty sure that Mr. Campbell
would have used the designation in his books, given the amount of time
he has spent in the game.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

LOL
How about you read exactly what was said and then tell me when they started listing
muskets as M87? Listing as M87 didn't mean they were marked as M87.

How about you visit this page in the same book and point out your M87 musket:
http://books.google.com/books?id=T-I...WGmIt0#PPR5,M1

Tom