Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Clausing 5914 has arrived

On 2008-01-04, David Billington wrote:
DoN. Nichols wrote:

[ ... ]

Hmm ... "pancake nut" sounds like what Aloris uses. And the
difference between the Aloris and the Phase-II is that Aloris uses a
keyed lockwasher which engages a keyway on the stud, while Phase-II uses
only a plain inner star lockwasher, increasing the chance that the
setting will shift as you tighten the locknut.

I'll attempt to do an ASCII drawing of the Dickson/Emco/ToolMex
nut. As usual, view with a fixed pitch font like Courier to avoid the
distortion which comes from a proportional pitch font.

+-------+ +-------+
+---+ Z Z +---+
| Z Z |
| Z Z | ---------- Waist
| Z Z |
| Z Z |
| Z Z | (the 'Z's are the internal thread for
| Z Z | height adjustment)
| Z Z |
| Z Z |
| Z Z |
| Z Z |
+------+ Z Z +------+ -- Flange
+----------+ +----------+

For the Dickson style -- the Aloris pancake nuts won't work.

[ ... ]

Nice ASCII art.

Thanks.

All of the Dickson and Toolmex holders I have, have this
nut fitted with a square head set screw to allow the nut to be locked by
doing the set screw up against the top of the stud the nut is fitted on.

My Emco ones are similar -- except that the setscrew is an Allen
head cap screw -- just as are the screws which clamp the tools into the
holders. I suspect that square head ones just aren't made that small.
(4mm IIRC).

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564