Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Slightly OT, need some electrical help

On Jan 4, 6:29*pm, Carl M wrote:
* * *I can't believe it's come to this. *At work I'm getting really
busy, really quickly, and one R&D project alone I could devote the
next six months to full time, unfortunately at the loss of my other
projects. *It was suggested by the project manager of that particular
project that I see if I could find someone outside my company that
would be willing to help me out with a bunch of the work. *The bulk of
the work that I need help with is wiring control panels, done off
premise, which is not as value-added as my uppers would like it to be.
* * *I'm in the Seattle area and while I understand that all the
skilled folks are working full time, so I'm kinda thinking someone
retired, other folks looking for side work, or small shops. *Most of
the equipment relates to heater controls, thermocouple wiring, RS-232,
smart motors, relays, 4-20mA, and other signal wiring. *Most stuff is
in 19" boxes. *This person would be working directly for me, not the
company, although someone else in the company on the project would be
providing payment on a direct basis (no fancy contracts, mostly word
of mouth.) *I'd provide all the major parts, a lot of the smaller
stuff, diagrams (some pencil on paper, some wire lists, some worse,)
and high quality expectations. *I'm easy to work for, providing that I
don't need to hold anyone's hand, and am casual about everything but
good quality work.
* * *If anyone is interested or knows of someone or a small shop that
is capable of the work, I'm highly interested. *I've never been in
this sort of position before, so I'm at a loss about how to go about
dealing with this, so any guidance someone would like to offer would
be greatly appreciated. *You can reply to me directly if you'd like.

Can't do it, I'm in NH, but a prototype to copy in addition to the
documentation helps a LOT.
Also they may need the correct, expensive tools for crimp connectors,
you can get into unforseen trouble making odd-sized panel cutouts with
locating notches, and be sure you have the wire type and gauge
specified and a source for EVERY part including PEM studs etc.

Jim Wilkins