Posted to alt.home.repair
S. Barker S. Barker is offline

Default plumbers putty for leaky threaded joint?

as far as catching the drip, perhaps an ice tray, or even a cookie sheet.
or a creative cut on a piece of pvc to use as a trough.

wrote in message
The threaded pipe joint I installed last week for one of my home's hot
water radiators is leaking a little. It it now obvious to me that I
didn't put enough pipe dope on when I installed. I would prefer to
wait a few days before I redo because we're in the middle of a cold
spell. But the pipe orientation makes it difficult to catch the drip,
so I want it to stop. Would plumbers epoxy putty work here? or would
the heat and lack of smooth surface (i.e. threads) doom this patch job
to instant failure? And if it does work, would I be able to remove
the putty or does it harden so strong that I won't be able to break it
off. I never worked with this stuff before, so I'm not familiar.

Opinions?

-Theodore.