Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default septic and garbage disposal

dk wrote:

I just moved to a house that has no garbage disposal unit. The builder
said that it's not advisable for a house on a septic system. Is he
"pulling my chain"? If what he is saying is true, how do folks handle
garbage without a septic tank? I can see a lot of flies and roaches
without one.

TIA

No good reason to have a garbage disposal, particularly on a septic
system. They can be used on a septic system if you're careful, but they
can also cause problems if you keep sending junk that isn't readily
degradable down them.

The comment about flies and roaches just isn't an issue for most people
who have covered garbage cans in their kitchens, empty and seal the
garbage on bags regularly so they are ready for garbage collection day,
and generally keep their homes clean.

Garbage disposals make more sense in a city environment, where they are
on a city sewer system, and people don't have indoor storage space to
keep the bagged garbage safe from rats and other vermin until garbage
day.