Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_2_] Gunner[_2_] is offline

Default Shearing 18 gage stainless

On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 09:15:05 -0800 (PST), matt
wrote:

On Jan 4, 12:36*am, Don Foreman wrote:
On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 02:17:38 GMT, (Doug White)
wrote:

If you can find a Di-Acro 12" shear, I think you'd be all set. *They will
handle 16 gauge steel, so I think 18 gauge stainless would be OK.

I thought so too *but it doesn't seem to be so. *This stuff is tough,
more like 12 gage mild steel. *

If you look at capacity specs for most types of squaring shears,
you'll see that thickness capacity that is quoted for mild steel is
usually cut by 50% for use with stainless.

At LEAST 50%. If asked to suggest/find a shear, I underate by 75%,
because I know they are not going to keep the blades sharp.

Gunner