Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty Banty is offline

Default septic and garbage disposal

In article , dk says...

I just moved to a house that has no garbage disposal unit. The builder
said that it's not advisable for a house on a septic system. Is he
"pulling my chain"? If what he is saying is true, how do folks handle
garbage without a septic tank? I can see a lot of flies and roaches
without one.

TIA

Garbage disposals are something of an invented need (as in, invent something,
then market to the populace as a necessity.) Few folks around here, where most
have septic and a well, have garbage disposals. Food scraps should be few,
really, and those that need to be thrown out just mean quicker trips to the
outside garbage can. I wrap things like turkey carcasses and potato peelings in
a plastic grocery shopping bag first.

I've had garbage disposals while growing up and in some of the rental apartments
I lived in. But I never missed it in the 14 years I've been without.

Banty