Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Shearing 18 gage stainless

On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 02:17:38 GMT, (Doug White)
wrote:

If you can find a Di-Acro 12" shear, I think you'd be all set. They will
handle 16 gauge steel, so I think 18 gauge stainless would be OK.

I thought so too but it doesn't seem to be so. This stuff is tough,
more like 12 gage mild steel. But I only need a 4" cut so a Di-Acro
12" might do the job if I can find one.

One possible issue with the Jet shears is that the metal may tend to
squirm a bit, giving you a curved cut. You can fix this by rigging up
some sort of clamping system. You'd probably want to rig up a good right
angle fence anyway, and you could add a clamping set up to that.

Yes.

I'll see if I can find a Jet to try tomorrow. I can modify it with an
over-center or cam-action clamping platen bar and angle fence if
necessary or expedient. It may well be so.