Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default First welder- casual use

"SteveB" wrote:

-snip-
First, you are stepping into an abyss. Welding can be addictive, and it
opens up doors you don't even know are there right now. So buy a machine
that will do the work. You say casual use, but once you start welding,
you'll do more.

Thanks for the detailed remarks--- I've started looking at lightly
used machines and see lots on Craigslist & Ebay-- probably makes
sense once I decide which way I'll go.

-snip-
Lincoln 225 AC/DC
Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC
Any of the Miller or LINCOLN wirefeeds, but I tend towards the 220v, as you
can use flux cored wire, and essentially don't need a stick. That one
machine will do MOST of the welding you want to do. If you get to the point
of needing big stick, you'll be able to find a good used Lincoln or Miller
stick for around $500, probably less. Once you get good enough to run 7018,
you'll make that much on one job.

There won't be any 'for hire' jobs in my future [he says confidently.
.. . ] -- but I do know the experience of thinking 'if I'd just gone
one step bigger when I bought the first tool. . .'.

MY CAUTION TO YOU: Buy Red or Blue (Lincoln or Miller). You can find
parts, and their warranties are outstanding. The HF stuff is a PITA, unless
you get the one in ten that works. If you do buy the HF, get the one with
the heftiest handle, as that makes the best boat anchor. When it fries, or
doesn't work, or you can't get consumables, that's about all it's good for.

I'm still a HF fan-- but your point is well taken- on a complicated
tool that relies on consumables, I am probably better off buying used
Red/Blue.

-snip-

Thanks,
Jim