Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default First welder- casual use

dpb wrote:
-snip-
What I would recommend that's pretty inexpensive in general is if you
have a local vo-tech or community college, go sign up for a first
course--they'll supply the tools, expertise and you can normally bring
in a project or two and in a couple of months you'll have the basics
covered including safety--always a key.

Then, if you're wanting more, go for it. Here the course fee is $60 for
county residents plus (I think) $40 lab fee--pretty cheap...

I'll check around some more- but it looks like my local college uses a
local "Welding School" - "Modern Welding School" in Schenectady, NY.

The school looks like it caters more to businesses- but it offers a 6
hour course for $179. [and these are broken down into MIG, TIG, Gas,
etc- no 'overall' intro course.]

There must be other courses available- I think it might be money well
spent.

Thanks,
Jim