Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin Grant Erwin is offline

Default Harold's bandsaw blade welder (was, " Chain welding")

Wayne Cook wrote:

On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 19:32:35 GMT, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:
I also have a DoAll blade welder and often weld two short pieces of
scrap blade together to dial in the settings. It is odd that your
welder requires a full loop. These welders can be finicky. Mine once
was making making great welds, and the next minute it wouldn't weld
anything. After a lot of investigation I found that the moveable jaw
was sticking.

I wonder if it's because mine is very old---it was built in '43----perhaps
with lower technology. I struggled like hell to make a good blade from two
short pieces of new stock. Finally resorted to clamping the loose ends
together and got instant success. Being a retired toolmaker, I completely
rebuilt the clamping assembly on my welder. It looks as good as a new
one---works perfectly aside from not welding pieces.

My theory is that the current is too high without the loop. I know on
my blade welder I can't weld to short a loop of large blade (say 24"
of 3/4" blade). The loop definitely takes some of the power out of the
weld but most of it still takes the shorter path.

Ah. This makes some sense. Until I learned to only set mine about
halfway up the scale, it too used too much current and the welds didn't
work worth beans. Generally they'd blow out pinholes and more generally
they would break.

Grant