Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Lockwashers vs. Nyloc vs. Loctite on 3/8"-16 nuts

On 2008-01-01, Pete C. wrote:
andy wrote:

Hi folks: I am wondering which of the following methods would be the
most effective way to prevent some nuts from vibrating loose.
Lockwashers? Nyloc nuts? Loctite or similar thread locking goo,
or ???

[ ... ]

Castle nut and cotter pin.

Or drilled nuts and safety wire (assuming that you have the
pliers to twist the wire.

Years ago they had an exhibit at the Boston Museum of Science on the
Russian space program, including lots of hardware. It was very
interesting to see the different approaches to construction compared to
the satellite hardware I was building at the time. The two things I
remember most we

1) They used slotted screws instead of Phillips a lot, and you could see
scratches where they had slipped with a screwdriver.

2) Instead of using safety wire & drilled nuts, they used a soft,
slightly oversized washer under a regular hex nut. Once the nut was
tightened, they pried up the washer next to one of the flats and mashed
it (pliers? hammer?) against the flat of the nut. The washer couldn't
turn unless the nut came loose, and the nut couldn't come loose unless
the washer did. Weird (by our thinking), but elegant in its own way.

Doug White

That, and the english labels on emergency stuff, knowing if the brown
stuff hit the fan, they could rely on us for help.