Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
woodworker88 woodworker88 is offline

Default Working leather gloves from mcmaster

On Dec 31 2007, 8:38 pm, Ignoramus8643 ignoramus8...@NOSPAM.
8643.invalid wrote:

Not McMaster, but my favorite pair of gloves is a light leather, maybe
deerskin or pigskin, not the real heavy work gloves but similar to TIG
gloves. I don't know who makes them, but they are sold with the CAT
logo (like the heavy equipment manufacturer) prominently displayed on
the back. They have a leather palm and fingers with a strong,
fluorescent nylon back, with some elastic around the wrist. I use
them for moving heavy things, hammering, hotwork, and general tasks.
I have a couple pairs, and they weren't too expensive. I found them
at the local hardware store. Several years ago when I was
disassembling and moving my Excello mill, I got one pair well
impregnated with lithium grease. Over time the surface grease wore
off, to the point where they don't stain everything they touch, but it
seems to have impregnated the leather with the antifriction components
of the grease. It's like having an Oilite bushing in you hand, a
great help when shoveling, hauling, or anything where repetitive
movement would otherwise start to wear a hole in the glove and your
skin.