Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos Harold and Susan Vordos is offline

Default Chain welding

"twolluver" wrote in message
I also have a DoAll blade welder and often weld two short pieces of
scrap blade together to dial in the settings. It is odd that your
welder requires a full loop. These welders can be finicky. Mine once
was making making great welds, and the next minute it wouldn't weld
anything. After a lot of investigation I found that the moveable jaw
was sticking.

I wonder if it's because mine is very old---it was built in '43----perhaps
with lower technology. I struggled like hell to make a good blade from two
short pieces of new stock. Finally resorted to clamping the loose ends
together and got instant success. Being a retired toolmaker, I completely
rebuilt the clamping assembly on my welder. It looks as good as a new
one---works perfectly aside from not welding pieces.

Harold