Posted to alt.home.repair, misc.consumers

Default Honeywell whole house humidifier issue (kinda long)

On Jan 1, 2:42*pm, "John A. Weeks III" wrote:
In article ,

*"Dan" wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but if the saddle valve was clogged, would
there not be any water making its way to the humidifier? *The problem
is that the water is not being pushed up to the filter. *Is that the
solenoid's function.

Any ideas? *I don't want to waste money having a T-joint installed if
that is not the problem.

The solenoid is simply a water valve that is operated by an
electrical signal. *When the humidity drops, the solenoid opens
and allows water to flow to the business end of the humidifier.
If the solenoid opens and you are getting little or no water
flow, the water line is plugged somewhere, but perhaps not
totally blocked, but blocked enough that have little or no
water pressure at the humidifier.

It first concerns me that the humidifier is tapped into
the hot water line. *That opens you up to the problems with
scale in the hot water heater. *I think it also would promote
the growth of bacteria.

Next, if you keep getting plugged up, I am far more concerned
about all this gunk getting into your food, drinking water,
and into your body. *This goes double if you have lead solder
or lead pipes in the system. *I think you want to consider
getting some water filters installed, and use an R/O system
in the kitchen for any water that goes into your food.

Finally, I think you do need to get a real water tap rather
than a saddle valve. *Tap it off of the cold water. *Then
clean out and back-flush the humidifier and any lines that
go to the humidifier. *Finish it off by putting a sentiment
filter in the the line going to the humidifier.

You may also want to get your water tested. *The gunk is
in your system for a reason. *That reason might be that
you have hard or acidic water. *You may need a softener
or a neutralizer. *If you do have acidic water, it may be
that it is eating the pipes from the inside. *If it is hard
water, you may have pipes that are getting build-up and
impacting your water pressure. *All of these things are
bad for you plumbing system, and for your body. *Get it
checked out before it causes any further health problems.

-john-

John A. Weeks III * * * * * 612-720-2854 * * * * *
Newave Communications * * * * * * * * * * * *http://www.johnweeks.com

Good grief. They guy has a humidifier problem and you're telling him
he's headed for health problems from hard water? There is no
connection between hard water and any health problems. Hard water is
simply excess minerals, many of which are necessary and beneficial to
the human body. If it's too hard, you may not be able to lather soap,
it may put stains in your toilet, but it's not going to harm you.

As far as connecting the humidifier to the hot water supply being bad,
that's where my Aprilaire has been for 10 years and it's working
perfectly. Like Honeywell, Aprilaire specifically says it's OK. It
increases the output capacity.