Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Repair or despair? Natalie or Jim?

"msg" wrote in message
Wickeddoll wrote:

snip

I've seen British expressions such as "arse" and "f*ckwit" since going
online in the early 90s. I'm surprised you hadn't seen them before a
year ago!

I should also mention never having seen/heard the term '******' until
the Sylvester McCoy Dr. Who episodes ;-) (For me and many in the U.S.,
Tom Baker is the _only_ Dr. Who).

Regards,

Michael

Are you sure about that ? I have watched Doctor Who since the very first
episode, and I can't remember any Doctor ever using any language that was in
any way inappropriate for children. The BBC, and British broadcasting in
general, has always been fiercely protective in that way, sticking rigidly
to the 8pm watershed. Doctor Who has always been shown before that time.
Sylvester McCoy goes back what ? 20 years now ? British television was a
much gentler place back then than it is now, and very little swearing or
inappropriate language at all was tolerated, let alone during a programme
made primarily for children.

Have you seen any recent series of the programme ? Tom Baker was indeed the
Doctor of choice for many, and of the 'old' Doctors, was certainly my
favourite, if only because he had a 'looney' edge to him, and ate jelly
babies, but since the programme was resurrected a few years back, there have
been a couple of excellent Doctors and assistants. The current Doctor (David
Tennant) is absolutely superb in the part. He brings exactly the right level
of eccentricity and humour to it, and manages to play it, much like Tom
Baker did, with enough seriousness to make it a valid role, tempered by just
a little 'hamminess' to keep it light. I have always thought that the BBC
have managed to cast this series well for Doctors over the years, and
thought that when they did bring it back after a gap of many years, that
they would struggle to keep it fresh, but it has surpassed all of my
expectations in this respect. If you have not seen the current Doctor, go
take a look at

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/episo...07/index.shtml

Do you have a reference for the episode that you felt contained the word
"******" ? I would be interested to follow up on that.

Arfa