Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jaeger Jaeger is offline

Default Chain welding

On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 21:16:41 -0500, "Charles P Lamb"
wrote:

How are commercial chain links welded? My first guess is using resistance
but I would guess the electricity would be more likely to take the path
around the link than across the touching faces.

I find it intriguing that this topic came up. I've been trying to
figure out how to make welded links for things like chainmail,
safety-mail (like the microlink gloves that prevent you from cutting
yourself while filleting fish) and even necklaces.

I just found the following site that talks about Resistance welding...
http://www.key-to-steel.com/Articles/Art76.htm

The Wiki says that currents from 100 to 100K amps are used...

Hmmmm.... I wonder how hard it would be to design a Homebuilt power
supply for a Resistance welding rig?
Jaeger
Seattle, WA
"Dead wizards are not known to sleep soundly,
nor to wake jovial"