Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default First welder- casual use

On Jan 1, 8:26*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
I've started thinking that I'd like to try some welding. * * Mostly
for quick repairs on old equipment- but also for light fabrication.

I was thinking of getting one of the $100 MIG welders from Harbor
Freight just to see if this was something I could learn. * But then I
read on some tutorial online that MIG was not good for painted or
rusted surfaces- and most of what I'll be welding will probably be
both.

So-- do I switch gears and look at a different setup- or get used to
using a wire brush?

Any suggestions for a must read first book that might help me choose a
welder- and then how to use it?

[Suggestions of websites- forums- and Usenet groups appreciated.]

Thanks-
Jim

Go to www.millerwelds/resources/ improving-your-skills and check out
all the great articles and help tips. Then sign up for their
newsletter which is well worth the time it takes to read all the info
that shows up there. And if you must buy HF things, get their better
angle grinder and wire brushes, you'll need them. HTH

Joe