Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Cook Wayne Cook is offline

Default Extracting broken bolt / screw

On 2007-12-30, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 16:18:19 -0500, wrote:

I'm the heat cycle kinda' guy, meself...

I do like the idea of the tack-weld a new nut on -- now if I only had a
MIG or wire-feed unit instead of (or in addition to) the stick...

In this case stick is better than MIG. I do this a LOT (I'm the one
that everybody brings jobs like this to) and MIG is only good if the
bolt is already free. If the bolt isn't free then MIG makes to hard a
deposit and the weld breaks before you can get any pressure. The best
results are obtained with SS stick rod. Take a 3/32" stainless rod and
with several small tacks build up a ball of stainless on top of the
bolt. Then place a flat washer on there and weld it to the ball. Then
take a nut and using a low flux rod (like 6011) weld it to the top of
the above. That will give you the highest strength bond to the bolt
you can get.