Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Extracting broken bolt / screw

DoN. Nichols wrote:
On 2007-12-30, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 16:18:19 -0500, wrote:

Any tool for extraction will work but it's the setup that counts.

[ ... ]

1. If broken bolt is above surface grab it with vise grips, use a
engraving tool to buzz it out, or turn it with a sharp punch.

[ ... ]

Good post. I've never heard of the engraving tool trick.

By "buzz it out", do you mean the vibration helps the bolt to turn
easier?

This is (I think) the kind of engraving tool which has a carbide
point in an adjustable vibrator Something like a "Burgess Vibro-Graver".
You place the point on an area away from the center of the broken bolt,
but not too close to the threads, and angle it so is is driving both
down into the bolt and CCW. This is likely to get the bolt out --
though to be honest, I've never tried it.

In that case, what's the point of the vise grips?

This suggestion needs more explanation to make any sense to me -- if the
bolt is so bound as to have caused it to twist off in place, seems
unlikely this is going to work -- although I've no such engraving tool,
either.

I'm the heat cycle kinda' guy, meself...

I do like the idea of the tack-weld a new nut on -- now if I only had a
MIG or wire-feed unit instead of (or in addition to) the stick...