Posted to alt.home.repair
S. Barker S. Barker is offline

Default First welder- casual use

keep in mind the 120v units won't weld much more than 1/8" stock properly.
You need a 220v unit with at LEAST 130A output for real fab work on 1/4 to
3/8 material.

steve

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
I've started thinking that I'd like to try some welding. Mostly
for quick repairs on old equipment- but also for light fabrication.

I was thinking of getting one of the $100 MIG welders from Harbor
Freight just to see if this was something I could learn. But then I
read on some tutorial online that MIG was not good for painted or
rusted surfaces- and most of what I'll be welding will probably be
both.

So-- do I switch gears and look at a different setup- or get used to
using a wire brush?

Any suggestions for a must read first book that might help me choose a
welder- and then how to use it?

[Suggestions of websites- forums- and Usenet groups appreciated.]

Thanks-
Jim