Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveC SteveC is offline

Default First welder- casual use

A welder is only as good as the operator and how well you can prep the
materials. I've welded many rusted metals and painted as well. Grind, chip
or do what ever you can to remove the contaminents, then weld. Stick is a
little better at welding painted/rusty metal, but not much better. As long
as you get it hot enough, should be fine.

I'm a welder by trade and I know your not always gonna get perfect, clean
metal. Some new metals need to be cleaned up before welding as well.
Welding is 10 percent welding, 90 percent prep, better prep, better the weld
and fusion your gonna get, no matter what the condition of the metal.

Yes, new metal is easier to weld, but who can always afford new, when
old/used is cheaper.

--
Steve

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
I've started thinking that I'd like to try some welding. Mostly
for quick repairs on old equipment- but also for light fabrication.

I was thinking of getting one of the $100 MIG welders from Harbor
Freight just to see if this was something I could learn. But then I
read on some tutorial online that MIG was not good for painted or
rusted surfaces- and most of what I'll be welding will probably be
both.

So-- do I switch gears and look at a different setup- or get used to
using a wire brush?

Any suggestions for a must read first book that might help me choose a
welder- and then how to use it?

[Suggestions of websites- forums- and Usenet groups appreciated.]

Thanks-
Jim