Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default First welder- casual use

Probably the least expensive and most useful setup would be a stick welding
rig like Lincoln AC-225. you'll probably need a cutting torch as well, if
you plan to fabricate anything. Any how to welding book will give you the
basics, then you just have to practice the various types of welds and
positions. Once you get good at it, if you have the need, you can spend for
shielded arc and specialty equipment

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
I've started thinking that I'd like to try some welding. Mostly
for quick repairs on old equipment- but also for light fabrication.

I was thinking of getting one of the $100 MIG welders from Harbor
Freight just to see if this was something I could learn. But then I
read on some tutorial online that MIG was not good for painted or
rusted surfaces- and most of what I'll be welding will probably be
both.

So-- do I switch gears and look at a different setup- or get used to
using a wire brush?

Any suggestions for a must read first book that might help me choose a
welder- and then how to use it?

[Suggestions of websites- forums- and Usenet groups appreciated.]

Thanks-
Jim