Don Foreman

Default Freezing locks

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 09:18:38 -0400, Kamus of Kadizhar
wrote:

I've got a purely hypothetical question:

ISTR that at one time, freezing locks with Freon was a popular way to
break them. The theory being that you freeze the lock mechanism or
shackle until it becomes brittle, then use a hardened hammer to smash it.

Now I'm being told that's an urban myth.

I come here seeking expertise on frozen metal - is it practical / possible
to freeze steel to where it becomes brittle using a can of Freon? The
technique was to use Freon under pressure, then "spray" it on the lock.
The Freon cools as it expands, freezing the metal.

And why might you come to this formum with this question, pray tell?
Woluld you aspire to be stealing bycycles perchance?

The original Krypton bike locks had shackles that were overhardened
and were thus vulnerable to being shattered by impact after being
supercooled by freon or dry ice. They've fixed that so that
approach doesn't work anymore. That's not to say they're
invulnerable because they certainly are not, but you won't get it done
with freon or dry ice.