Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Wayne is offline

Default Tapered bearing race install

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 08:32:23 -0600, tom wrote:

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 15:08:53 GMT, Ecnerwal
wrote:

In article ,
Wayne wrote:

manual doesn't look like a cone, but it look like it
has 2 diameters.

Probably a diameter to keep it centered in the hole, and a diameter to
catch the outer rim while fitting the space available, with a flat step
in between.

Is aluminum sufficient for the parts?

Should be fine, might want to add a steel fender washer.

Speaking as a heathen mechanic without 9 million special tools - I've
seated a lot of new bearing races with nothing more complex than a brass
drift, a hammer, and a brain. Only go a tiny bit at a time, and don't
let it get too far cocked - keep tapping the high side if you cock it,
and move around in a pattern when you can't see a high side. Not
suitable for a production environment (slow, skilled - the special tool
pays off) but works fine (IME) at home.

The hammer and drift method will work but has the potential for
damage. If you have the time and equipment it is best to make a tool
for installation. Take a look at this for more info.
http://www.ntnamerica.com/industrial_mountings.htm

Thanks for the link, nice drawings.
I've got a puller for wheel bearings. I have to destroy the cage
first. Pull out the center sleeve between the bearings. Put the
center of the bearing and the balls back in. Then I can use the puller.

--
Wayne D.