Tim May

Default The New Gunner: "If it's legal, it's legal, so quit yer bitchin'"

In article , Alan Moore
wrote:

So now we see the bottom line: if it's legal, it's legal, and people
shouldn't complain.

Correction. If it's legal, it's legal, and if you want to complain,
you should refrain from calling it illegal.

After all, your right to complain is enshrined in the bill of rights.
But it won't do you any good to complain if you undercut yourself by
denying reality.

Speaking of the Bill of Rights and the Constitution, taking money from
the citizens to hand out to others, for whatever noble reason, was
precisely what Sen. David Crockett was talking about in his famous
speech.

Saying money is "taken illegally" is reflecting this usage, that the
taking of money to give to others is NOT A POWER GOVERNMENT HAS,
according to the U.S. Constitution.

I quote from the Old Gunner Testament here (the New Gunner Testament,
as with the Bible, has a completely different, pussified version):

From: Gunner )
Subject: OT-Not yours to give
Newsgroups: alt.machines.cnc, rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: 2001-12-02 10:06:02 PST

NOT YOURS TO GIVE

From The Life of Colonel David Crockett, compiled by Edward S.
Ellis
(Philadelphia: Porter & Coates, 1884)

David Crockett
From another newsgroup, for your reading pleasure

Member of Congress 1827-31, 1832-35

One day in the House of Representatives, a bill was taken up
appropriatingmoney for the benefit of a widow of a distinguished naval
officer. Several beautiful speeches had been made in it's support.
The Speaker was just about to put the question when Crockett arose:

"Mr. Speaker-- I have as much respect for the memory of the
deceased, and as much sympathy for the suffering of the living, if
suffering there be, as any man in this House, but we must not permit
our respect forthe dead or our sympathy for a part of the living to
lead us into an act of injustice to the balance of the living. I will
not go into an argument to prove that Congress has no power to
appropriate this money as an act of charity. Every member upon this
floor knows it. We have the right, as individuals, to give away as
much of our own money as we please in charity;
but as members of Congress we have no right so to appropriate a dollar
of the public money.

--rest snipped--

Article recoverable in the usual ways, e.g., by searching on "gunner
"david crockett"" in Google Groups. Here's that search URL, for those
too lazy or too dumb to use Google:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...ff&threadm=k_A
O7.129%24cG4.231501%40news.uswest.net&rnum=3&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dgunner%2
B%2522david%2Bcrockett%2522%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie %3DUTF-8%26safe%3Doff%
26scoring%3Dd%26selm%3Dk_AO7.129%2524cG4.231501%25 40news.uswest.net%26rn
um%3D3