Posted to alt.home.repair

Default can a circuit breaker that tripped, worked properly, be damagedin the process?

On Dec 31, 10:41�am, dpb wrote:
Mark_Galeck wrote:
Hello, �I was wiring something and I messed up, as soon as I turned
the heater circuit breaker (to the thing I was wiring) on, there was a
loud bang, smoke and the breaker jumped back to OFF position, that
means, it worked properly, although the part I was wiring, got
damaged. I then disconnected the damaged part.
However, now the circuit breaker appears to "short", that is, even in
the OFF position, some other wires that it controls, are hot!

Can a tripped circuit breaker, get shorted that way in the process, so
that it cannot be turned OFF, and so I should replace the circuit
breaker? �Or is something else wrong?

Shouldn't, but as the saying goes "stuff happens".

I'm guessing this maybe was a 240V breaker? �The some in "some other
wires" implies one side is shorted, the other not, perhaps, or is that
not a precise description of symptoms.

Replacing certainly sounds in order, check for any signs of collateral
damage from the short at the mounting and neutral bars, etc.

I guess I'll add the obligatory caution -- this wouldn't happen to be an
old FPE (Federal Pacific) breaker/box by any chance?

--

breakers are designed to do their job, but can go bad. a westinghouse
plant i used to spend a lot of time in found that knock off

these were distribution breakers, just big models of regular home
breakers. i watched them be assembled, it was a interesting place.

I did a repair job saturday and got a nasty shock after being assured
the power was off

I should of done my usual short everything to ground to make certain
circuit was dead...

but to answer your question breakers are designed to trip.

tripping shouldnt damage them

but yes it can happen replace the breaker

are you certain the stuff thats still on is on the breaker in
question?

try a test lamp on the breakers out terminal