Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington David Billington is offline

Default Clausing 5914 has arrived

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
[snipped]

Probably the taper is used in a later version. It would be tough to
make the pin-in-hole version completely rigid, so I assume that one also
torques the central bolt down tight. Actually, the purpose of the pin
is probably to prevent annoying rotation while torquing down. Tapers
lock almost immediately, making rotation less of a problem.

Both the Dickson and Toolmex toolpost blocks I have are equipped with a
pin, approx 8mm diameter slightly in from the flat side of the
toolpost. I am not sure of its intended use but it isn't required to
prevent the toolpost rotating when the centre clamp is being done up,
the friction of the toolpost base on the compound slide does that just
fine. The Harrison compound slide is drilled to take the pin and locate
the toolpost square to the compound slide which is what I use it for,
all clamping being done via the centre post.

I don't think this toolpost came with the lathe, as it is cobbled to the
lathe.

Understood. It is not a common style in the US. I would not
bother using it for long -- but instead keep an eye out for an Aloris
style wedge in BXA size given the size of your machine. (I use BXA on
my 12x24" and am quite happy with it. And you even have a better chance
on eBay going for BXA than for AXA, because more of the hobby users are
going for the AXA size. :-)

I'll keep an eye out for BXA posts and holders. What's a reasonable
price?

Joe Gwinn