Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Bit OT. CFLs revisited.

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
none wrote:

I've also noticed that some CFLs emit radio-frequency interference. If
you're not a ham radio operator or a listener to AM radio, you probably
won't be annoyed by that.

Have you heard the RF trash radiated from some of the LED traffic
lights?

LEDs as such don't produce any RF but some types of drivers for them do.

Yes, Dave. I am VERY aware of that. One of the problems of
selecting SMPS for our line of US $20,000 to $80,000 Telemetry receivers
was their radiated noise. About 95% of the samples were rejected for
this reason. The noise sounds like a bad SMPS, and the noise is carried
on the power lines for about two miles, from each of the new lights.
That leaves VERY few places that you can listen to AM or shortwave. The
Vicor supplies were quiet, but had a horrible failure rate.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida