Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
Grant Erwin Grant Erwin is offline

Default Extracting broken bolt / screw

Some bolts ain't gonna come out. Ever. For those, you may need to get
creative about drilling and tapping another hole nearby.

When I twist off a fastener head, leaving a small stub sticking out, I
have learned to NOT instantly grab the Vise-Grips. Because most of the
time what happens when I do is that I crush the stub and it breaks off
below the surface. Rather, I start with penetrating oil and I let it
soak while I get out the MIG welder and cut up a piece of sheet steel
about the size of a postage stamp as well as the No. 5 hand punch.
I punch a hole in the sheet steel just large enough so the stub will
fit through, then I use the MIG welder to weld the piece of sheet
steel to the sheared-off fastener. Then I weld a nut to the piece
of sheet steel, and use a wrench to gain a purchase. The combination
of the penetrating oil, the heating/cooling of the welding, and the
well-coupled torque via the welded nut will generally get it out
if it's coming out.

If I shear off the nut/sheet steel, then I start thinking about
alternative holes. If it's an aluminum workpiece and steel fastener,
then I can get out the product called "Tap Out" (which I buy at my
local machine shop supply and have never been able to find online)
which is a kit containing material to build a dam and a solution
which will dissolve the steel fastener.

If I'm going to try drilling down the axis of the stuck fastener,
I'll use a left hand drill. I got a set of those in the easyout type
kit I got from Craftsman. Of course, a left hand drill is rotating
in the direction where if it binds up in the fastener the drill's
torque might spin the fastener out.

But some fasteners ain't coming out. Ever. Get over it.

Grant