Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Default Extracting broken bolt / screw

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 15:37:54 -0500, Nate Nagel
wrote:

komobu wrote:
Hi;

Often I need to extract broken bolts / screws and am thinking about
picking up some left handed drill bits. Usually I have to extract
broken steel bolts and screws from aluminum heads and manifolds. Most
often they are broke off clean and need to be drilled. When looking at
drill bits to purchase, I see they are made of HSS, Cobalt and
Titanium. What drill bit material is the best for staying sharp and
long lasting life?

Also, please comment on grabit and other extracting methods. What do
you think is the easiest way to remove a broken bolt?

Thanks for any advice
Pat

I use quality HSS bits because a) I don't need to do this very often and
b) HSS bits can be resharpened.

I haven't found an ez-out yet that works reliably. I usually end up
drilling out the bolt almost to the threads and busting the swarf out
with a bottom tap.

nate

Saw an ad on the TV the other night....Gator something. A set of
drill points on one end, and a matching easy out on the other. It was
used to drill a conical cavity in screw heads, and the matching spiral
easy out on the other end to remove the screwed up fastener.

Anyone know if these are worth a ****?

Gunner