Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default Extracting broken bolt / screw

Lots of helpful ways here to do many types of bolts and screws. I have
found that each one is different. And even two of the same types of, say,
bolts, the experience will be different.

But I have found a few things that apply straight across the board, and I
learned this at HKU.

First: Look at the situation. Don't be in a rush. Sometimes the best way
is the simplest. I have a lot of tools, and sometimes, I tend to
overengineer. And sometimes the simplest is the fastest. If it don't work,
you won't spend a lot of time on it before going to another strategy.

Second: You will probably get one chance. It will screw up or it will come
out. You'll fix it or you will ruin it. Make it a good shot.

Third: LET PENETRANTS WORK. I recently had a turnbuckle that was frozen.
I twisted the rod off in my hurry to get it off. Then I heated it with a
MAPP torch, applied some 3 in 1 oil and turned off the light. Next day, I
bought something like "Blaster" and hit it with some. About five minutes, I
wiggled the Vise Grips that was clamped to the stump, and it moved freely.
I don't think it was the Blaster, but letting the oil do its work and get
sucked in. So, if you use penetrants, let them soak long enough to do their
work.

Last: Pay attention to your gut when it says, "It feels like if I twist
this any farther, it will snap." 99% of the time, my gut was right.

Steve