Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
Leo Lichtman Leo Lichtman is offline

Default Extracting broken bolt / screw

"Nate Nagel" wrote: (clip) I haven't found an ez-out yet that works
reliably. I usually end up
drilling out the bolt almost to the threads and busting the swarf out with
a bottom tap.

The drill and tap method works for me, too. I HAVE found that Snap-on
extractors work well. They are not tapered. You drill with a drill that
they provide, and then drive in a splined shaft. Then slip on a nut with a
matching internal spline, that they also provide. Tapered easy-outs grip
only at the top of the drilled hole. Snap-ons grip all the way to the
bottom.