Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Bit OT. CFLs revisited.

I have just returned from a Christmas trip to Vegas, staying in the same big
name Strip-side hotel that I always do. However, since I was last there a
year ago, they seem to have had a big drive to turn the room lighting over
to CFLs. Now, instead of getting a decent light in the room when you come in
the door, it's like someone is going round lighting candles one at a time.
When the rotten things have finally warmed up enough to give out some light,
the room appears dingy and uninviting. Although at first glance, the colour
temperature and CRI look a 'reasonable' match to incandescent, the light
actually has a most unpleasant 'sick' quality to it.

Above the beds, there are standard 'large format' reflector spots, for
reading. These have now been replaced by lamps with a similar form factor,
but which contain a double spiral CFL element. The light that these output,
again once they have warmed up enough to produce light worth bothering
about, is singularly unsuitable for reading by, and after a couple of
nights, I gave up trying.

Now if this is the level that the technology has reached, and this is the
sort of product that forthcoming government legislation in my country (UK)
and several others I believe, is aiming to force us to accept by banning
sales of incandescents, then I for one, will be stocking up on enough light
bulbs to see my days out ...

Arfa