Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Clausing 5914 has arrived

In article ,
David Billington wrote:

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

On 2007-12-29, Joseph Gwinn wrote:

In article ,
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

On 2007-12-28, Mike Henry wrote:

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message

[ ... ]

Toolpost is funky, a wrench-activated sort-of aloris, but no pistons or
wedges. Also got lots of bits and holders, plus some knurlers.

Hmm ... is it perhaps the Dickenson style common in the UK with
Myford lathes? The toolpost has two vertical male V-ways, which match
female ones in the holders. The toolpost wrench a bent shank socket
wrench rotates a cam which draws in a T-stud which engages a T-slot in
the holders between the female Vees. There are two sets of V-ways and
T-studs -- one for turning and one for boring/facing. Each holder has a
long knurled thumbnut to raise or lower the holder, and an Allen-head
cap screw to lock the thumbnut to the proper height.

Not quite as convenient as a wedge style Aloris or clone, but
pretty close to as rigid and better than the piston style. I've got one
on my Emco-Maier Compact-5/CNC (a significantly smaller lathe).

This sounds like it could be what I have. The body is marked "RAPID
I.S.A" in an ellipse, plus "TIPO-M" in a rectangle. Where would one
find information on these holders? I guess that RAPID is one maker,
probably British.

Hmm ... "TIPO-M" suggests Italian or Spanish manufacture ("tipo"
being "type"). Not sure about the "RAPID I.S.A.", but you could try
a Google search for it.

Nothing came up on Google. Who knows if they are still in business.

"Dickenson style" implies multiple makers. What are likely names?
Maybe Myford has a favorite maker?

The correct spelling is "Dickson" , pic on the right here
http://www.pratt-burnerd.co.uk/specialchucks_7.asp . I have a genuine
Dickson and a Toolmex made one and the holders are interchangeable.

Bingo! This does look like what I have. Thanks for the pointer.

The Pratt-Burnerd website doesn't work properly with Firefox, but Safari
does at least seem to work. But the download function was offline, so I
cannot yet get the catalog. Probably won't recover until people return
from the New Year's holiday.

Toolmex holder does look the same, and is made by Bison. But the
catalog of toolholders was not to be found on their website. Only
cutting tools. http://www.toolmex.co.uk/new/catalog.html

Joe Gwinn