Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Clark Magnuson Clark Magnuson is offline

Default Clausing 5914 has arrived

Carl Boyd wrote:
"Clark Magnuson" wrote in message
I remove and tighten the ring on the L00 with a stick and hammer.
The wood will not beat up the ring.

The wood will not beat up the ring, but it can't be good for the headstock
bearings to be beating on the spindle. I change chucks fairly often. I
forged a hook spanner from some 1" x 1.5" bar stock for my L-1 LeBlond.

Carl Boyd

That got my thinking.
I assumed from how smashed up the holes on that ring are that it is
Aluminum. But I see now it is attractive to a magnet.

I thought of myself as babying that ring by using a stick to hit it
after all the damage it has taken being hit with metal at Boeing and/or
AIE Industrial in the 40 years before I got the lathe.

The link to the picture of my lathe is still good from the auction, 6
years later:
http://www.murphyauctions.net/past/a...rial.html#pic1